General Education Requirements

The UA Catalog includes links to course lists and descriptions. The information below addresses specific General Education requirements as they apply to Engineering students.

There are two categories in the Tier One requirements – Traditions and Cultures and Individuals and Society. Students must complete two classes within each category.

Traditions and Cultures – Students must take two of the following:

  • 160A – Non-Western Cultures and Civilizations*
  • 160B – Western Cultures and Civilizations: Classical to Renaissance
  • 160C – Western Cultures and Civilizations: Renaissance to Present
  • 160D – Topics in Culture and Civilization

Individuals and Societies – Students must take two of the following:

  • 150A – Mind, Self, and Language
  • 150B – Social Interaction and Relationships
  • 150C – Societal and Institutional Systems

Natural Science (170): The array of required UA Engineering science courses (PHYS 141 and CHEM 151, for example) satisfies Natural Science General Education requirements. Thus, students are not required to take Natural Science (170) and are not allowed to apply Natural Science (170) toward requirements in a UA Engineering degree programs.

Tier Two

Individuals and Societies – 1 course (3 units)

Arts or Humanities – 1 course (3 units)


Diversity Emphasis Requirement
Students are required to complete one course that focuses on studies in gender, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation or non-Western areas. This can be fulfilled through an appropriate Tier One or Tier Two course, as indicated in the Academic Program Requirements Report for your degree program. All 160A courses are non-Western in focus and satisfy this requirement. There are also Tier Two courses in Individuals and Societies as well as Arts and Humanities that satisfy this requirement. Please confirm the diversity emphasis designation in the course descriptions. 

Students in the Honors College have additional options for General Education courses.


Transfer Coursework

New, Incoming Students
Incoming first-year students with dual enrollment course credits, IB or AP credits, who have submitted official transcripts, will find the coursework included in the Transfer Credit Report in their UAccess accounts. If the courses are not populating the correct General Education requirements fields in the Advisement Report, email Please make the subject line “General Education Review,” and include in the body of the email your name, student ID number and major or intended major.

New, Incoming In-State Transfer Students
Students with AGEC – Arizona General Education Curriculum – certification have completed their General Education requirements.

Incoming Out-of-State Transfer Students
Out-of-state students transferring college-level credit must have non-engineering courses – with the exception of General Education classes – evaluated by their respective departments. For more information, visit Transfer Credit & Articulation.

If your General Education courses have not yet been evaluated, which should have occurred prior to orientation, email the College’s General Education advisers at Please make the subject line “Transfer General Education Review,” and include in the body of the email your name, student ID number and major or intended major.


Transferring General Education Courses from Other Institutions

Prior Approval Advised
Engineering students planning to enroll in General Education courses at other colleges and universities are strongly encouraged to obtain prior approval from the College of Engineering Advising Center. Doing so will ensure the selected transfer courses apply toward the General Education requirements of the student’s degree program. General Education courses at other colleges and universities may not satisfy General Education requirements at the University of Arizona.

Selecting Courses
To determine which General Education courses you need to satisfy degree requirements, first generate an Advisement Report in your UAccess account. Next, using the course descriptions found in the Tier One and Tier Two tabs, choose similar classes at the outside institution. Email your selections to using your UA email account. Please include your name, student ID number, current major, course title and description.

Additionally, you can see which courses have already been preapproved for transfer using the Transfer Credit Guide. Many courses have been coded to fulfill specific requirements. You will also be able to use the Transfer Credit Guide to look up the equivalencies for English, math and science courses. 

Contact Us